Labels

Sunday, June 16

A B-Horror Movie Review of Return of the Killer Tomatoes (1988)

I like watching b-horror movies, both for the horrible effects, and the even worse acting! So every Saturday I will watch a b-horror movie on Netflix (go to genres\horror\sub-genres\b-horror), and give you a review on Sunday! You are welcome.
I will also do no background research or get informed about the movie, all I know is the title.

This week I watched "Return of the Killer Tomatoes" and it was unexpected. Although its on the b-horror section, its really just a comedy movie. Another surprise was that George Clooney is in this!


The movie is about a mad scientist that invents a way to make tomato people, and a tomato girl that runs away to save his deformed tomato brother. Anyways I'm not sure if this is actually a sequel to any movie, but it looked like it was. 

The first sequence is pretty funny, and then the title sequence has a song that explains the first movie or something, that was ok. So instantly you know this is just a goofball comedy movie type of thing. They also mention that the movie is low budget, and they break the 4th wall often (one to many times if you ask me). The movie is very tongue-in-cheek, telling you over and over again that they have low budget, and poking fun at it. There a whole scene where they stop the movie to inform everyone that they run out of money... yeah its that kind of movie.

About 3/4 of the way I felt like the movie dragged on, nothing had happened in the plot, and it just came to a very slow pace. It picked up at the end, but then it still dragged on for too long. The plot is not that strong, and the comedy moments are not that great. I never busted out laughing.
I was looking for a bad horror movie (which can sometimes be good), and instead ended up with a bad comedy movie (which are hard to watch). So no, I didn't like this movie. But if you like b-grade comedy movies I would say this is right up you alley.

Movie Score:
  • 3/10
  • T (O.W.L.)

No comments:

Post a Comment